Health New Zealand: Announcement: Novavax booster
Dear PMAANZ colleagues,
We’d appreciate you sharing the below key messages on Novavax booster with your networks or contacts. There are also some Q’s and A’s further below.
From 5 July, Novavax booster will be available without a prescription. This gives everyone over 18 years old a choice in which COVID-19 booster vaccine they receive.
- The Government has agreed the use of the Novavax COVID-19 vaccine Nuvaxovid as a booster without a prescription, giving people more choice and more opportunity to receive a COVID-19 vaccine booster dose.
- This decision follows Medsafe’s update to the provisional approval, to include use of Nuvaxovid as a booster after the primary course of any of the COVID-19 vaccines available in New Zealand.
Staying up to date with the recommended COVID-19 vaccinations will continue to protect you from the risk of serious illness, hospitalisation or death from COVID-19.
From 5 July, a free Novavax booster is available to those over 18, at least six months after completing their primary course of any COVID-19 vaccine (Pfizer, Astra Zeneca or Novavax) at select vaccination centres around the country.
- Novavax is not yet available on the programme as a second booster. However, you can discuss your situation with your healthcare provider, and they can provide a prescription if appropriate.
- If you’ve had COVID-19, you should wait at least 3 months after your infection before you get your booster.
- Pfizer remains the preferred COVID-19 vaccine for use in New Zealand, reflecting its excellent safety and effectiveness profile.
- You can check when you are due for a booster by visiting mycovidrecord.nz or referring to your purple vaccination card, if you have one.
- You can book an appointment for a Novavax booster dose through Book My Vaccine or by calling the COVID Vaccination Healthline on 0800 28 29 26 (8am to 8pm, 7 days a week).
Q&As Novavax vaccine (Nuvaxovid) booster
Can I get a Novavax COVID-19 vaccine booster if I had a different vaccine as my primary dose?
Yes. Novavax is approved for use as a booster after a primary course for any of the COVID-19 vaccines available in New Zealand – Pfizer, AstraZeneca and Novavax for 18 years and over.
What age do people need to be to get a Novavax COVID-19 vaccine booster?
18-year-olds and above can get a Novavax COVID-19 vaccine booster.
How long do I have to wait after a primary course to get the Novavax COVID-19 vaccine booster?
You can get the Novavax COVID-19 vaccine booster six months after completion of the primary course (for most people, this is two doses).
Why is the Government offering Novavax COVID-19 vaccine as an option now?
It’s important that everyone who is eligible for a booster, gets a booster. However, we recognise that the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine booster isn’t suitable for everyone, so we want to be able to provide another option.
The Pfizer vaccine remains the preferred COVID-19 vaccine for use in New Zealand. Staying up to date with the recommended COVID-19 vaccinations will continue to protect you from the risk of serious illness, hospitalisation or death from COVID-19. This is particularly important over winter.
Do I need a prescription?
A prescription is not required for a Novavax booster if you are over 18 and it is at least six months since completing your primary course of any of the COVID-19 vaccines available in New Zealand –from Pfizer, AstraZeneca and Novavax.
How safe is the Novavax COVID-19 vaccine booster?
Novavax like all vaccines can cause side effects in some people. These are usually some normal side effects from any vaccine such as high temperature, sore arm and headache, see the Consumer Medicine Information https://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Consumers/CMI/n/Nuvaxovid.pdf
Can Novavax be used by pregnant people?
The Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine remains the preferred choice of vaccine for this group. If this vaccine is not suitable for you, please talk to your healthcare provider about alternatives.
How can I get a Novavax COVID-19 vaccine booster?
If your second dose was six months ago you can get your Novavax booster, which is offered at select vaccination centres. Bookings can be made using Bookmyvaccine.nz or call COVID Vaccination Healthline 0800 28 29 26 (8am - 8pm, 7 days a week).
I am eligible for a second booster – can I have Novavax?
Pfizer is recommended for anyone who is eligible for a second booster as it is effective/safe etc. The Ministry of Health will continue to monitor the research around Novavax as a second booster. You can discuss your situation with your healthcare provider, who can also utilise IMAC for clinical support.
How many people do you expect to get the Novavax COVID-19 vaccine booster?
It’s unclear at this stage how many people will request the Novavax booster.
Ngā mihi nui,
Senior Adviser, Engagement
National Immunisation Programme
waea pūkoro: +64 21 248 1288| īmēra: firstname.lastname@example.org
133 Molesworth Street, Te Whanganui-a-Tara